So, Japanese people often use a phrase that translates roughly as "You are always graciously taking care of me" all the time to express gratitude and I can't think of a more perfect example of when to use this phrase than with my host family. Even though I am no longer living in their house and have not been for around 8 years, I know that I can depend on them if I'm ever in a pinch, and that they'll go out of their way to help me get through my 3 month adventure in Tokyo.
My host mother, worried that I was separated from my family and didn't have enough to do, or that I wasn't enjoy Japan (both of which are not true!), suggested that we go to the glittery Ginza area of Tokyo that's famous for its brand name goods and do some window shopping. Ever thoughtful and considerate, she asked me if there was anything in particular that I needed, and offered to help me find it. Considering that we were in Ginza at the time, I kind of chuckled to myself puzzling how to work out how to say "At the moment, I am not in particular need of a complete set of Louis Vuitton luggage and matching slingbacks, a Harry Winston diamond tiara, or limited edition Shanghai world expo themed Prada keychain (ALL of which we looked at), but thank you for considerately asking." Of course, she wasn't asking me if I needed any of these things, but just extending a genuine offer to help me with whatever I needed help with.
Anyway, we had a ball. First we dropped by host sister #1's office to take her out to a simple Japanese-style lunch (broiled fish, rice, pickles, small salad, and miso soup), and then dropped by host sister #2's office to treat her to coffee, and mortified both of them by fussily insisting that we take a photograph outside their companies. From there, we wandered around Ginza looking at beautiful, beautiful things and eating melon flavored ice cream from Hokkaido, Japan's northern islands. It was such a pleasant day with her.
She's very busy right now helping to plan her youngest daughter's wedding that's taking place this July, so it was an excellent opportunity to learn about Japanese wedding customs and preparations, many of which are very different from the wedding customs I'm familiar with - more on this later!!
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment