Friday, April 23, 2010

Reunion!

I just got back from a trip to the high school I attended in Japan and realized that I hadn't taken any photos except this one with my delightful and teeny former Japanese teacher.  She met me at the school and reintroduced me to a bunch of teachers I had had while I was there and then took me out for lunch and a walk in Inokashira Park, which is nearby the school.  After lunch, I returned to the school to kind of awkwardly watch the tea ceremony club and the kendo club do their club activities and practice.

The whole experience reminded me of the word natsukashii which is a very conversational word in Japanese that kind of means "nostalgic."  I don't think that there's a word in English that we use in that way, but Japanese people say it all the time to describe the process of remembering prior events when you smell a familiar smell, visit a familiar place or hear a song that was popular a long time ago, etc.  It's kind of fondly remembering good times of years past.

No comments:

Post a Comment